The new vestry (above) was added in 1875, seven years after the church was built, and we know from the first vicar’s diary that it was used for the first time on February 13th 1876. At that time hymns were played on the harmonium by Mrs Jewison who died in August 1877
At the dedication of the new organ in November 1877 Mr J R Young of Hull was appointed as organist. Later, in September 1878, Mr Thomas Andrew from Wharram was appointed as the organist. The journey to Thixendale from Wharram for Sunday services must have been rather time consuming and Mr Andrew soon moved into Thixendale where he stayed for nearly 18 years.
During that time he formed a Drum and Fife Band which later became the Church Choir Brass Band. Thomas Andrew, band leader and organist is sitting on the drum. Playing the organ for services and rehearsing the band for performances at church and secular events must have kept Mr Andrew busy and in addition he had to find time to write out music by hand on manuscript paper. The vital post of organ blower was fulfilled by John Henry Adams from 1877 to 1885 when Frederick Lacy took over. He was followed by Joseph Butterick who left the village with his family in 1888 when George Dent took over. In 1898 the organ blower is noted as being Edward Harben. Kate Moore recalls undertaking the job in the 1930s. Some time after electricity arrived in 1947 an electric blower was fitted.
Mr Andrew’s two manuscript books full of transcribed music are in the Treasure House at Beverley. This scrap of music was recently unearthed in a drawer in the vestry!
On 12th August 1896 Thomas Andrew resigned after nearly 18 years as organist and conductor, and left the village. Miss Miriam Sedman, daughter of Churchwarden Mr Sedman, undertook to fulfil the duties of Organist from this time.