George Edmund Street, (above) the renowned Victorian architect, was employed by Sir Tatton Sykes 5th Bt as designer of the new church. The building was designed in the high church gothic style with emphasis on the sacrament.
Street set out a strong nave axis with the font in its own sacred space at one end and the altar indicating the ultimate sacrifice at the other, the beginning and end of the Christian cycle.
He also designed an interesting asymmetry of archways, pillars and windows so that nothing will detract from the focus towards the chancel and altar.
William Henry Fox was born on Saturday the 7th of April 1832 at his parents’ home in Stamford, Lincolnshire. In 1854, William was awarded his Bachelors degree and the following year he was ordained as a deacon at Lincoln. William was ordained as a priest in 1856 and in 1857 he received his Masters degree.
William H. Fox’s first post was as Curate of Beeston, Nottinghamshire from 1858 to1859 and from there he went to Whitton in Lincolnshire 1859; Radcliffe-on-Trent 1859-1865 and Shelford in Nottinghamshire 1867-1870 before moving north to become the vicar of the village of Thixendale where he remained for the rest of his life.
Sir Tatton Sykes, whose bust adorns all of the Wold’s churches he restored or rebuilt, was concerned with many village matters. One letter, asking for the church bell to be rung to celebrate his wedding, lists twelve other villages where he was equally involved. His wife, Lady Sykes, also contributed to the welfare of needy villagers and in the severe winter of 1895 wrote to the vicar expressing her wish that a soup kitchen should be opened at her expense and a ton of coal be distributed.